Saturday, August 25, 2007

Time to check on the sauerkraut!


It has been 4 weeks now since I started the sauerkraut fermenting. I figured it was time to dump it in a bigger container and do a taste test. I tasted it and it was wonderful! No amount of persuading would convince Andy to taste it. Dan reluctantly tasted it and pronounced it also wonderful - but warned me if he gets sick, I'll never hear the end of it. He also asked me what was the difference between fermenting and rotting. Caught off guard all I could come up with was that fermenting was to produce something edible and rotting was for compost......

I think I may have to start another batch fermenting today - but Dan said I should wait for 24 hours to make sure there are no health implications from this batch. Chicken!

Really, such a wonderful taste - so much better than what you buy in the store - and the health benefits from it are a wonderful bonus. The stuff you buy in the store is pretty dead - this is alive!

1 comment:

Connie said...

Oh, I can almost taste and smell that kraut! Nothing beats homemade for taste and it is so healthy for you, too.